Saturday, August 13, 2011

July 27-31 … on to Madison!

We enjoyed a regal repast of stuffed peppers and other delicacies not available in Andorra, and I headed north to Milwaukee.  Gabe planned to stay a couple nights with his now-former roommates, helping one of them celebrate a birthday and getting a little more hang time.  He arrived home Thursday late afternoon, just in time to spring me from work a tick early.  We headed right up to the Fox-Bay to cash in our pre-ordered tickets for Harry Potter, which we both enjoyed.
Now it’s Friday, and time for him to get packing.  But there’s a doctor appointment and an eye appointment and some things to do at the bank … not many boxes got filled.  He did get focused on Saturday and we were able to get things down into the garage and rearrange some furniture to make the movers’ job on Friday easier.  The work slopped into Sunday, so I just drove him on out to Madison….no more time to catch the bus and make connections there.
That pleasant duty did give me a chance to drive through the EPIC “campus” … very impressive architecture and some fun whimsical touches (a “Tin Man” made from culvert corrugate, and others).  That did demonstrate the need for Gabe to get me keys to his place before Friday, the original idea to swing by there and pick them up from him would take far too long.
A couple of carts worth of boxes and stuff delivered to his room and I’m gone.  The hotel scene was just like freshman year at the dorm – EVERYONE checking in was reporting to EPIC the next day.  I returned to Milwaukee and put in 4 days of work, Gabe put in 5.
Friday morning the movers arrived to truss up the piano and pick up the other items headed for his pad.  The truck was hardly full (mine will be MUCH worse!).  I chased out the freeway and beat them to the unit by about a half-hour, long enough to get the door propped open and take a quick look around.  Almost everything fit where it was intended to go, the piano looked great in its corner of the living area, and next thing I knew the movers were gone.
Still had a few hours before picking Gabe up, so I unpacked the kitchen boxes and did a little more organizing; picked him up and loaded the stuff in the hotel room into the van.  He left, and I met friends for dinner at a lovely Indonesian restaurant near the lakefront.  They dropped me at the hotel, Gabe slept at home, and I slept well.
He picked me up in the morning, we did a little grocery shopping and got back to the apartment.  Tragically, no time to attend the Dane County Farmers’ Market just a few blocks up the street, but Comcast was installing and the roommates parents were in and there was plenty of activity to attend to.  A few more errands and I was, very pleasantly, thanked and dismissed.  A good thing as I was ready for a good night’s sleep!



No comments:

Post a Comment